To enable delegates to deliver emergency first aid, including lifesaving CPR, defibrillation and dealing with choking, in a confident and skilled manner.
To ensure delegates are able to competently deal with minor first aid issues and discern when to involve more experienced medical professionals.
The course content is regulated by Ofqual and the following practical elements are assessed:
- Conduct a scene survey
- Conduct a primary survey of a casualty
- Summon appropriate assistance when necessary
- Identify when to administer CPR
- Demonstrate CPR using a manikin
- Justify when to place a casualty into the recovery position
- Demonstrate how to place a casualty into the recovery position
- Identify when choking is mild or severe
- Demonstrate how to administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
- Identify the severity of external bleeding
- Demonstrate how to control external bleeding
Delegates are also assessed by way of a short multiple choice test assessing their ability to deal with minor injuries.